Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blondies (Gluten-free)

A few weeks before Christmas my family in South Carolina shipped a big package of gifts to us to open on Christmas Day. As we were opening the box and sorting through the gifts I immediately spotted a medium sized tin with wax paper protruding out of it and I squealed with delight. I knew that it meant homemade treats. Not just any treats. They were homemade Congo Bars.

I was inspired by their arrival to try a gluten-free dessert similar to a Congo Bar. I settled on making a blondie. A blondie is basically a brownie but blonde not brown. In addition, a brownie has a rich chocolate flavor. A blondie has some chocolate flavor but it is not always the dominant flavor.

Once I figured out what to make I looked for a recipe that could guide me through the gluten-free baking process. I’m new to the world of gluten-free baking. There is so much to learn. I turned to a trusted source. If you have not read their site or their book you must check out Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef. Shauna and her husband Danny have created some incredible gluten-free recipes. I decided to adapt one of their brownie recipes.

I wanted to adapt it to be egg-free but my first attempt didn’t exactly work out.

I used an egg replacer product that completely altered the texture of the blondie. One of my taste testers suggested that it tasted a lot like a Clif Bar. It was yummy but it was not what I was going for so I decided to try again and made another batch.

Success! They were moist, chewy and not too sweet. A couple people said they would have never known that they were gluten-free if I did not mention it.

Blondies Adapted from gluten-free girl and the chef

8 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup brown rice flour

1/4 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup cacao chips, chopped

Preparing: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Roughly chop the chocolate into small chips. Slice the butter into one-inch pieces. Combine the two flours together.

Melting the butter: Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, and then turn it down to a simmer. Place a large metal bowl over the top of the saucepan. Pour the butter into the metal bowl and stir, occasionally, as it begins to melt. Once it has come to a full melt remove from heat. Note: It is important to slowly melt the butter. I think part of the problem with my first batch was that I melted the butter in the microwave which altered the texture of the butter.

Making the blondies: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the sugar and eggs, whisking vigorously until they are creamed together, with a silky consistency. Add the vanilla extract and salt and stir well. Add in the gluten-free flours and stir. Finally, pour in the butter mixture and stir, carefully, with a rubber spatula, until the mixture has become smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Baking the blondies: Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Smooth the top with the spatula. Slide the baking pan into the oven and set the timer for 25 minutes.

Finishing the blondies. As the blondies are baking, fill the sink with ice cubes and 1 inch of water. When the blondies are finished baking, remove the pan from the oven and place it immediately into the ice-water bath. Let the blondies stay there until they have cooled completely.

Servings: 12

23 Responses to “Blondies (Gluten-free)”

Nikki — January 20, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

These look great! I’ve never made blondies, which is crazy because I’ve made every brownie recipe I’ve ever found. I can’t wait to try!

Sandra — January 20, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

These look gorgeous! so chocolaty..okay I got to stop, I am drooling:D

Amy Bakes Everything — January 20, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

Great job! It’s so hard to bake gluten-free, this one sounds pretty easy and totally accessible!

Jill Colonna — January 20, 2011 @ 2:14 PM

Now that makes a lovely change to brownies – and gluten free too! Fabulous. Look divine.

Eftychia — January 20, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

Thank you for the lovely recipe. I love brownies and I try to avoid wheat, so this will give me the perfect recipe solution for brownies.

Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen — January 20, 2011 @ 2:34 PM

The first batch looks like fudge! I love blondies, I’d take one any day over a brownie. Great job at making a gluten-free one!

Cookin' Canuck — January 20, 2011 @ 4:45 PM

Shauna and Danny’s site is wonderful resource for gf recipes. It looks as though your variation turned out perfectly!

fooddreamer — January 20, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

The first attempt look totally wild…my first response was “whoa, those are blondies?” They look like a Salvadore Dali painting of blondies ;) Glad they weren’t a total disaster, though. But the second attempt looks wonderful, I’d like to bite right into my screen.

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having — January 20, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

These look great! . The second batch looks exactly how blondies should look. From the picture I’d never guess gluten free!
    The first batch looks almost cookie dough like, I’d eat them :)

Kat @ Cupcake Kat — January 20, 2011 @ 10:33 PM

These look fantastic. I am definately keeping this recipe and I’m probably going to make it soon

torviewtoronto — January 21, 2011 @ 5:50 PM

healthy snack

Ashlae — January 22, 2011 @ 3:12 AM

Oh my goodness! These look absolutely amazing. You know what works great as an egg replacer? Silken tofu! Mori-nu brand, to be exact.

Mina @ Angellove's Cooking — January 22, 2011 @ 3:34 AM

Your Blondies are so irresistible!! Great job!!!!

Kori — January 22, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

These look great! So chewy and perfect!

Natalia - a side of simple — January 22, 2011 @ 12:43 PM

Oh my goodness, I want these right now. These look like they satisfy the soul!

Evan Thomas — January 22, 2011 @ 12:52 PM

These look terrific! I love a thick chewy blondie and have had to work my way through quite a lot of gluten-free recipes that just weren’t up to par.

Tiffany — January 22, 2011 @ 12:55 PM

Oh the woes of finding the right egg replacer! I can totally relate! And I bet both versions were tasty in their own ways!

Claudie — January 22, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

Those blondies look amazing. So moist, I love it!

Lindsey F. — January 24, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

Thanks for this! One of the nurses I work with has a husband with a gluten allergy. She’ will love this and I’m going to give it a shot as well ;)…just have to track down some brown rice flour first.

Jo Crescent — February 26, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

My favorite egg replacement — a must since we discovered my husband is allergic — is 1 Tbs of ground flaxseed, mixed with 3 TB hot water. Works like a charm, adds omega 3s & fiber. Thanks for the great blonde recipe! My mom used to make these when I was a kid & didn’t know I was gluten intolerant!

Rodzilla — September 28, 2011 @ 6:39 AM

I would still definitely eat the “failures”, these look awesome!

Nicki@Nick-Stirs — September 28, 2011 @ 10:34 AM

Wow! These are great. Putting them in the baking rotation for sure!

balvinder ( Neetu) — December 17, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

I love these blondies . saw it on food buzz.Now ,I am adding you.