Monday, March 21, 2011

Kahlua Fudge

Making this fudge has been on my to-do list for a little over three months. My Aunt C makes it for our family Christmas party. Last December I was so eager to make it that I messaged her right after our party to beg her for the recipe. She obliged and then I promptly forgot that I had this treasure on my to-do list. I recently found the recipe and set out to make it.

It makes a lot of fudge. I gave most of it away because it was simply too much to keep in the house. I wish I would’ve taken pictures of the faces of those I bestowed this sweet treat upon. To say they were excited would be an understatement.

I love this recipe for several reasons. It’s gluten-free and egg-free which makes it appealing to this wheat and egg intolerant foodie. It’s easy and ready in very little time. I did have a small “incident” when I was boiling the the fudge. The original recipe calls for you to use a 2 quart saucepan. I followed the recipe and within one minute of the rapid boil saw the mixture start to boil over the side. I quickly switched to a 3 1/2 quart saucepan and was able to rescue the batch.

Make sure that you really boil the fudge. If it is still sticky after it is firm it’s because it didn’t hard boil hard or long enough. My aunt told me that she has made more than one batch at a time and one would be perfect and the other was sticky. Also, don’t walk away while it’s boiling. It burns very quickly and once the heat is off it starts to harden very quickly.

Kahlua Creamy Fudge (Adapted from Food.com)

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 (7 0z) jar marshmallow creme*

2/3 cup evaporated milk

1/4 cup salted butter

1/3 cup Kahlua

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate pieces

1 cup milk chocolate pieces

2/3 cup chopped walnuts, roasted**

1 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

Line an 8 inch square pan with baking foil.

In a 3 1/2 quart saucepan combine sugar, marshmallow, milk, butter, Kahlua and salt. Bring to a rapid boil, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add all chocolate. Stir until melted. Add nuts and vanilla. Turn into prepared pan.

Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes and then refrigerate until firm. To serve cut into squares.

Serving: Approximately 2 1/2 pounds

*Note that this recipe is only egg-free if you are using egg-free marshmallow creme.

**Roasting the walnuts will intensify their flavor. Bake the walnuts on a prepared baking sheet at 350ยบ F for 5-10 minutes or until lightly toasted.

24 Responses to “Kahlua Fudge”

jen @ onecurlyfry — March 21, 2011 @ 3:09 PM

I’m on my way to your house to pick some up stat!

Looks delish.

I could not have that much fudge in my house. I’d want to eat it all!

• Wendy replied: — March 21st, 2011 @ 3:16 PM

Jen this recipe is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it makes so much that you can share and a curse because you will want to eat it all.

Chef Dennis — March 21, 2011 @ 4:06 PM

that is some good looking fudge!! When I make anything thats bigger than I can eat in one or two sittings I have to give it away to my neighbors. I might have to think twice about that fudge though…..sigh…it would be calling to me in the middle of the night!

• Wendy replied: — March 21st, 2011 @ 4:46 PM

Dennis it was calling to me. I would eat a little piece and then another little piece. Pretty soon all those little pieces add up.

patsy — March 22, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

Wow! That is some seriously decadent fudge! I’m thinking it would be worth the indulgence!

JenniferA — March 23, 2011 @ 10:38 AM

Oh wow, that looks amazing! So professional, like it came from a fudgery. I bet it tastes even better though! Thanks for sharing your aunt’s recipe.

Megan — March 28, 2011 @ 12:18 AM

Now that is some pretty fudge. And we love Kahlua. Bookmarked!

Medeja — March 29, 2011 @ 4:58 AM

Combination of all those products should make really delicious fudges..

hannah@ bake five — May 13, 2011 @ 11:08 AM

boy am I glad i have kahlua!

Heather — October 3, 2011 @ 12:04 PM

Please PLEASE be aware that this fudge is NOT egg-free if made with commercial marshmallow creme. Both marshmallow fluff and most of the recipes to make it that I’ve seen include eggs.

• Wendy replied: — October 3rd, 2011 @ 12:42 PM

Heather you make a great point. I did not use commercial marshmallow creme but I assume most people do. Thank you for pointing this out. I’m going to edit the recipe to reflect this. Nice catch!

Vivian thiele — November 22, 2011 @ 7:17 PM

Sounds yummy! I will be making some tonight for a fudge challenge I am in. Will have it up on my blog December 7 – total credit and link up to your blog.

• Wendy replied: — November 22nd, 2011 @ 8:28 PM

Vivian this recipe is always a hit. I hope it serves you well in your fudge challenge. Can’t wait to read about it on the7th. Best of luck!

Tracey — December 16, 2011 @ 6:50 AM

This looks divine. Living in Australia I don’t know where Marshmallow creme would be available, also my daughter is allergic to eggs, so would like to know what to replace this ingredient with. If possible. Thanks.

• Wendy replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 7:24 AM

Hi Tracey! I’m not aware of an egg-free commercial brand of marshmallow creme. I made my own batch. It takes a little time but it is definitely worth it. I used this recipe for egg-free marshmallows: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/diy-recipe/sweet-treat-recipe-fluffy-vanilla-marshmallows-130751. To make the marshmallow creme I gently heated 16-ounces of marshmallows with 3 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup in a double boiler, stirring constantly until it came to a boil and the ingredients were combined. I allowed it to cool completely before using in the fudge recipe. The trick to this fudge recipe is to never let any of the ingredients scorch while boiling.

Jenna — January 13, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

I was very excited to try this recipe! Unfortunately they did not come out like the picture here. Mine came out VERY hard … What did I do wrong? After reading above to make sure the mixture cooks enough (or else the may be sticky) I made sure that it was in a rapid boil for 5 mins while I was stirring. It’s almost as if the recipe should have called for equal amounts of choc. bits rather than one saying 2 cups of … Once the bits were put into the mixture immediately it was very cake-like and dry? Help! What might I have done wrong??

• Wendy replied: — January 13th, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

Hmmmm. I’ve made this recipe several times and have never had that issue. My aunt, who gave me this recipe, has made this countless times. Let me ask her if she has ever had something like that happen and I will get back to you a.s.a.p.

Jenna — January 13, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

P.S.) I used marshmallow fluff for this recipe … Is it the same thing as “marshmallow cream”?

• Wendy replied: — January 13th, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

Yes it is the same thing:)

Jenna — January 13, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Ok, thanks! Thought so! :)

Bonnie — July 27, 2013 @ 3:25 PM

I made this and it turned out excellent . I am now starting my second batch for my dad. I wish you could taste the Kailua though. Anyway it’s real good!

• Wendy replied: — July 27th, 2013 @ 7:48 PM

So glad you like it!

The Pastrychef — December 21, 2013 @ 12:09 PM

I made this for our holiday potluck at work and just blogged about it – everyone loved it and it was probably one of the best fudge recipes I’ve made. Thanks for sharing it!

• Wendy replied: — December 21st, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

So glad you enjoyed it! I’m heading to my family holiday party later today. My aunt is making a batch of this fudge for the party. Can’t wait to devour it!