Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lobstah, Blueberries and Bar Harbor, Maine

Lobster Dinner at Stewman’s Lobster Pound

Three years ago we made our first trip to Maine and I’ve been begging to go back ever since. Last week we returned to one of my favorite vacation spots for some desperately needed rest and relaxation. Bar Harbor, Maine is a quaint town surrounded by Acadia National Park. There is so much to love about the area that my list could go on and on. Highlights include cooler temperatures, incredibly friendly locals, endless outdoor activities and of course lobster, lots and lots of lobster.

Lobster Roll at Fish House Grill

Lobster Bisque at Fish House Grill

They also have local wild blueberries that they incorporate into a lot of their dishes.

Blueberry Pancakes at Jordan’s Restaurant

Blueberry Pie at Stewman’s Lobster Pound

The food is incredible but the real draw for me is Acadia National Park. You can go hiking, biking, boating or fishing to name a few. If you are not feeling too adventurous you can take in the sights on the 20-mile Park Loop Road for breathtaking views of the park.

After a long day in the park I love to head to Jordan Pond House to refuel and relax. They have the most amazing popovers. I’m working on developing a gluten-free popover recipe. I’ll share it soon.

Sand Beach, Acadia National Park

Thunder Hole, Acadia National Park

Otter Cove, Acadia National Park

Jordan Pond, Acadia National Park

Just when I thought that our vacation couldn’t get any better I stumbled upon the most beautiful sight. A family of deer walked through our backyard early on our first morning there. I assumed it was a one time deal. I was thankful to have spotted them. We didn’t have our cameras accessible. I made sure to have one on hand for the rest of the week just in case we were lucky enough to spot them again.

The next day I was reading on the back porch and spotted the mamacita grazing. It was all I could do not to squeal with excitement.

Then we saw her two little ones.

As you can see from this pic one of the fawn spotted us too. We made sure not to make any sudden movements. Shortly after our mutual glances the family went about their way.

All in all it was an amazing week. Maine is by far one of my favorite vacation spots. I can’t wait to go back. Have you been to Maine? What is your favorite vacation spot?

44 Responses to “Lobstah, Blueberries and Bar Harbor, Maine”

Krista (kristastes) — July 7, 2011 @ 11:25 AM

I LOVE Bar Harbor (and Maine in general)! I used to go to camp for a month in the summers and my family would take vacation for a week when they came to pick me up…arcadia is a fun spot to hang and the lobstah and blueberries are yet another perk of the area!! I could eat lobster every day…

• Wendy replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 12:04 PM

Krista I could eat lobster everyday too. I had a lobster quiche that was to die for. Would love to have that for breakfast everyday!

Nutmeg Nanny — July 7, 2011 @ 11:27 AM

Everything looks amazing! We are going to Maine (and Canada) at the end of September. Can’t wait to feast on lobster :)

• Wendy replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 12:04 PM

Maine in September will be perfect. Cooler weather and not as crowded. I’m sure you will have a great time.

Carolyn — July 7, 2011 @ 4:55 PM

My sister in law lives near Bar Harbor, lucky us! It really is a lovely place to visit. Gorgeous shots of the deer!

• Wendy replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

Carolyn I cannot begin to express how jealous I am that you have family near Bar Harbor. It is one of my favorite vacation spots. Can your family adopt me?

Magic of Spice — July 7, 2011 @ 6:17 PM

Gorgeous photos! Looks like a wonderful trip, would love to go some day :)

• Wendy replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

Thanks! I would highly recommend a visit to Maine if you ever get the chance.

Culinarian — July 7, 2011 @ 7:57 PM

Bar Harbor is one of my favorite spots…and there is so much good food! Thanks for the post and making me a little jealous…I want to head there right now!

• Wendy replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

There really is so much good food. I would love to head back there right now too!

Emily @ Life on Food — July 7, 2011 @ 8:34 PM

I am from Maine and love going to Bar Harbor. It’s so pretty. Next time you will have to try the lobster ice cream! Great pictures!

• Wendy replied: — July 7th, 2011 @ 8:44 PM

Emily I didn’t see the lobster ice cream. Sounds intriguing. I’ll definitely try it next time I’m there.

Grace@ FoodFitnessFreshAir — July 7, 2011 @ 9:53 PM

I have been wanting to go to Maine for forever now. Mainly just to try the lobster rolls! Lobster and wild blueberries in the mountains have always been a romanticized image of mine.

• Wendy replied: — July 9th, 2011 @ 3:47 PM

Grace the lobster rolls are insane. So much fresh lobster meat. The blueberries are incredible. Can’t say enough great things about the food and the area in general.

Kate@Diethood — July 7, 2011 @ 10:34 PM

WOW…what a beautiful place. Sounds like a fantastic time!

• Wendy replied: — July 9th, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

Kate it was an awesome vacation!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — July 8, 2011 @ 9:55 AM

I so need a vacation and I would hope a plane for Maine in a heartbeat after seeing this. Looks so beautiful and peaceful. AND good eats? I would eat lobster for 3 meals a day; here in Denver? It’s pricey and it’s frozen.

• Wendy replied: — July 9th, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

Barb don’t you think Maine in the summer would make for a great conference location? Feast on endless lobsters and blueberries and hike and hang in the mountains.

Shelby — July 8, 2011 @ 10:19 AM

We are going somewhere on the east coast next weekend – I’m about sold that we should go here! The lobster alone would sell grumpy!

• Wendy replied: — July 9th, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

If he likes lobster he will love the fresh lobster that you get there. No Mr. Grumpy when he eats it. All smiles.

Rebecca — July 8, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

So glad I stumbled upon your blog! I started a Maine Foodie Finds blog recently — I will add you to my Blogroll. Love your photos and commentary, keep up the good work!

• Wendy replied: — July 9th, 2011 @ 3:53 PM

Hi Rebecca! I just checked out your blog. Gorgeous! Thanks for stopping by. So glad to have found you too.

Alan Cooke — July 8, 2011 @ 1:51 PM

I love Maine. Toured the coast visiting the maritime museums one year. Have you taken the Cat Ferry from Bar Harbor to N.S.? It’s cool!

• Wendy replied: — July 9th, 2011 @ 3:54 PM

No. We plan to each time we go there but then we get caught up in exploring Acadia and don’t want to take a full day to go to N.S. Hopefully we’ll do it next time.

anna — July 8, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

I’m from Maine. Those deer are a treat to people from away I guess, but anyone from the state knows they’re real killers on the roads. Almost wrecked badly once swerving to avoid a buck on 295.

Also, do people REALLY love Maine or do they just love the tourist season? I’m guessing the latter. I’ve seen a lot of dreamy-eyed former vacationers completely broken by their first Maine winter…

Can’t beat our blueberries, though ;) These Jersey berries are flavorless in comparison!!

• Wendy replied: — July 9th, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

Anna I think you are right. The deer are a treat when we don’t have to deal with the dangerous consequences of co-habitating with them. I absolutely adore Maine and I think I’d love it even more in colder weather but not brutally cold weather. I could see where it would break people. Jersey berries are pretty good but I agree Maine berries are delish.

Jeanette — July 9, 2011 @ 8:32 AM

Your post reminded me of my trip as a child to Bar Harbor with my family, and later on with my husband and his family. There is something quaint and just plain peaceful about Bar Harbor – and I remember the blueberries!

• Wendy replied: — July 9th, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

Jeanette it is so quaint and peaceful. I decompress just crossing the state line. Once we hit Bar Harbor I’m completely transformed.

Lynn Fantom — July 9, 2011 @ 9:56 AM

Wendy, what stunning photographs! I am also from “away” (NYC), but fell in love with Acadia. I now write a blog about Mount Desert Island at http://www.ouracadia.com to keep me there when I can’t be there! Have you tried Thurston’s Lobster Pound in Bernard?

• Wendy replied: — July 9th, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

Hi Lynn. So glad you found my site. I just checked out your blog. Love it! I have not been to Thurston’s before. Adding that to the list of places to hit when we go back.

Chef Dennis — July 10, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

what a wonderful vacation that must have been! All of the wonderful foods of Maine and the beauty of Acadia!
    Thanks again for having our get together, I had a great time!

edible obsessions — July 10, 2011 @ 10:33 PM

I’m so glad you love Maine! I’ve been smitten with her since moving here 7 years ago and now nothing could tear me away from it’s coast.

Delishhh — July 11, 2011 @ 12:25 PM

Maine in the summer is just fabulous – i love it there. One of the best things i know is just getting fresh lobster rolls – oh soo good.

• Wendy replied: — July 11th, 2011 @ 2:22 PM

Fresh lobster rolls are the best! Insane amount of fresh lobster meat. So so good.

Kathleen — July 11, 2011 @ 1:08 PM

My daughter and I took a trip to Maine a few years ago and it was incredible! So very beautiful and the food was amazing!!! Love your photos!

• Wendy replied: — July 11th, 2011 @ 2:23 PM

Thanks Kathleen!

Elyse @The Cultural Dish — July 11, 2011 @ 3:00 PM

Since I live in MA I go to Maine all the time! Thankfully it is only an hour drive for me! Maine has so many wonderful spots.. I really think you would also enjoy spending some time near ocean point maine, as well as boothbay harbor (which is basically a part of ocean point).

• Wendy replied: — July 11th, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

Elyse I have not been to either spots but I do plan to go back to Maine so I will definitely look into checking them out next time. Thanks!

Emily Malloy — July 11, 2011 @ 3:51 PM

It looks like you had so much fun! I cannot wait to go in less than a month! You have got me pumped for my trip :)

• Wendy replied: — July 11th, 2011 @ 4:02 PM

Emily it really is one of my favorite places. Can’t wait to see your pics!

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time — July 13, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

Jealousy. We’ve been to Maine once and fell in love with it. If not for the winters up there, we’d move. I think I enjoyed the plethora of blueberries more than the lobster, truth be told. Did you get to have any blueberry wine? We brought home a case (or two). I love the fawn. What a treat to see the little guy.

• Wendy replied: — July 13th, 2011 @ 11:04 AM

I had a blueberry vodka drink. It was delish. I did not have any blueberry wine. Hopefully next time.

Happy Places — July 23, 2011 @ 3:52 PM

[…] La Phemme Phoodie Wendy just came back from the Acadia National Park in Maine and a Sand Beach plus lobster rolls! Happy place indeed. […]

Beth — March 5, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

I’m dying to go up to Maine… it looks beautiful and like you had a lot of yummy meals! Glad I found your blog to follow :)