Monday, August 22, 2011

Zucchini, Onion and Red Pepper Stew

When scanning a site for a recipe I almost always notice the sweet treats first. I think it’s natural for most people to be drawn to them. After I’ve had my eye candy I take another look at recipes that incorporate healthy ingredients. This month, while scanning my assignment site for The Secret Recipe Club, The Haggis and the Herring, my eyes perused lots of tasty recipes until I came upon this stew. I knew I did not need to look any further.

With cooler weather almost here I am eagerly anticipating the onset of lots of soups, sauces and stews. I was eager to make this to kick off the start of the next season. I hit up a local farmers’ market and set out to make it. You will notice that it is vegetarian. I still have problems letting go of the idea of not having meat in my meals but this dish makes it easy to go meatless.

[print_this]

Zucchini, Onion and Red Pepper Stew

Ingredients

2+2 tbsp olive oil

4 bell peppers, chopped

2 large onions, chopped

3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8″ thick

1 sofrito recipe (see below)

2 garlic cloves

1/2 tsp cumin

salt

Instructions

1. In a dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and add the peppers, onion and salt. Cook over medium heat until peppers are soft and set aside.

2. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil and add the zucchini. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is soft.

3. Add the pepper and onions back to the mixture along with the sofrito. Let mixture come to a gentle simmer.

4. Using a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic, cumin and a dash of salt into a paste and stir it into the pan.

5. Cook an additional 10 minutes before serving.

Sofrito

Ingredients

1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, bruised and minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar

Instructions
1. Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Turn heat down and let simmer for 15 minutes for sauce to thicken.
3. Using an immersion blender, puree mixture.

[/print_this]

27 Responses to “Zucchini, Onion and Red Pepper Stew”

Heather — August 22, 2011 @ 9:04 AM

Wow, how did you know that I think I have all of these ingredients on hand already to make this wonderfully seasonal dish! ;-) looks great way to use up a few zucchinis I got! Thanks for being part of the SRC!

-Heather at http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com

• Wendy replied: — August 22nd, 2011 @ 11:27 AM

Heather you definitely need to make this a.s.a.p. It’s a great way to use up the ingredients you already have on hand. Love when that happens!

Dan — August 22, 2011 @ 9:29 AM

I love how you presented the stew with the full slices of zucchini – it looks amazing. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

• Wendy replied: — August 22nd, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

Dan it was fun to make and even better to eat!

Lisa~~ — August 22, 2011 @ 10:39 AM

What a great veggie stew and it looks so delicious. If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my Group ‘A” ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

• Wendy replied: — August 22nd, 2011 @ 11:25 AM

Lisa the stew is quite tasty. Just checked out your post for the SRC. The chicken looks incredible. I will definitely try that recipe.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — August 22, 2011 @ 11:48 AM

This looks delicious! I love a good hearty stew!

• Wendy replied: — August 22nd, 2011 @ 4:31 PM

Me too Debbi. I can’t wait for cold weather so I can eat lots of soups and stews.

BigFatBaker — August 22, 2011 @ 11:55 AM

Looks tasty and filling! It’s hard for me to find a lot of meatless dishes that fill me up, but this sounds like a great addition to my list :)

• Wendy replied: — August 22nd, 2011 @ 4:32 PM

It’s hard for me too find them too but this one definitely fits the bill.

Kristina @ spabettie — August 22, 2011 @ 3:43 PM

mmm, good choice! I love the look of this – sounds so flavorful! I think I have everything to make this sometime this week – thanks for sharing!

• Wendy replied: — August 22nd, 2011 @ 4:32 PM

Kristina you are very welcome. Hope you enjoy it!

amanda @ fake ginger — August 22, 2011 @ 6:11 PM

I’m ready for soup weather too! This looks like the perfect stew for cooler weather. YUM!

• Wendy replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 5:52 PM

Amanda I am sooooooooo ready for cooler weather.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING — August 22, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

Thanks again for being a part of SRC and being a part of my first group, I enjoyed being your host! Now, I get to visit everyone’s blog, THIS IS THE FUN PART!

If you haven’t already, come check out my Secret Recipe Club Post: Cucumber Salad http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/cucumber-salad-secret-recipe-club.html

or my second post for the SRC Raspberry and Nutella Pizza

• Wendy replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 5:52 PM

Tina thanks for hosting the group. You did a great job!

Shelby — August 23, 2011 @ 6:20 AM

This looks very flavorful! While I don’t mind cooler weather, I don’t look forward to winter ;)

• Wendy replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 5:53 PM

Shelby I’m sure I’ll be complaining when we have several feet of snow outside but right now I am so done with this heat.

gloria — August 23, 2011 @ 9:39 AM

I think look amazing and delicious!! gloria

• Wendy replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 5:53 PM

Thanks Gloria!

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time — August 23, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

Wow, that stew does look perfect. I wouldn’t have gone any further either. I’m looking forward to my first go with the club.

• Wendy replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 5:54 PM

You’ll enjoy participating in the club. It’s a great group of people.

Kate@Diethood — August 23, 2011 @ 4:25 PM

This sounds incredible! It’s cold and grey and damp here…it’s the perfect stew weather!

• Wendy replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 5:55 PM

Kate I honestly can’t wait for the cold weather. Not so much the grey but definitely the cold.

Feast on the Cheap — August 24, 2011 @ 6:54 PM

Ooh, this looks so rich and hearty. The perfect transition food from summer to fall

amy — August 27, 2011 @ 11:47 AM

Looks great! SCR is turning out to be lots of fun — so many new recipes to try!

Suzanne — September 4, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

Yummy and just the kind of savory dish we love around our house! SRC is a blast and I’m glad you’re a part of it!