Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cookie Decorating Class with Gail Dosik a/k/a One Tough Cookie

Assortment of the cookies I decorated

On Sunday, I headed out bright and early to make the drive to Washington, D.C. With only a few hours of sleep following my office holiday party, I was running on pure adrenaline and lots of coffee. What would make me drive to Washington, D.C. on a Sunday morning? The one and only Gail Dosik a/k/a One Tough Cookie.

Gail showing the class some of the cookies she has decorated
Mrs. Wheelbarrow in the background hard at work decorating her cookies

Gail announced several months ago that she was going to teach a couple cookie decorating classes in December and I signed up immediately. The promise of learning the craft from Gail was impossible to resist.

The class took place at the home of Cathy a/k/a Mrs. Wheelbarrow. This was my first time meeting Cathy who is just as lovely in person. If you are one of her readers you will also realize how lucky I was for the chance to meet Louie too. He was really excited to see everyone.

Even though I was a wee bit hungover I did my best to hold my hand steady. The other attendees did a much better job at steadying their hand than I did. Take a peek at some of the other cookies in the next picture. Our class was focused. I was really impressed by how inspired everyone was by Gail’s guidance and encouragement.

I would love to share better pictures of the cookies with you but they didn’t exactly last long enough for a real photo session. Did I mention my long drive home? Well, I think you can figure out how I kept myself occupied on my ride home. Can anyway say sugar rush?

If you are ever lucky enough to get the chance to take a class with Gail I would highly recommend that you do it. She definitely knows her craft.

Follow Gail on Twitter here

Follow Gail on Facebook here

21 Responses to “Cookie Decorating Class with Gail Dosik a/k/a One Tough Cookie”

Gail — December 15, 2011 @ 8:55 AM

Wendy, I had so much fun teaching the classes! Your class really kept me on my toes….you all took to cookie decorating like ducks to water!

Thank you so much for this tremendous vote of confidence!!! LOVED seeing you again, too!

xoxo

• Wendy replied: — December 15th, 2011 @ 9:02 AM

You are an excellent teacher Gail. I really enjoyed learning from you.

Amanda — December 15, 2011 @ 9:14 AM

I would love to take a class with Gail… it will have to go on my bucket list! :)

• Wendy replied: — December 15th, 2011 @ 9:17 AM

Amanda it is definitely bucket list worthy. I learned so much from Gail. I have a new appreciation for her craft.

Amanda — December 15, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

Those look amazing!!! Wow!

• Wendy replied: — December 15th, 2011 @ 6:24 PM

Thanks Amanda! My hand was a little shaky but I think they came out okay.

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen — December 15, 2011 @ 10:23 AM

What a great opportunity, Wendy! I met Gail & Mrs. Wheelbarrow at the NYC Cookie Swap & they’re such lovely ladies. Yes, this cookie decorating class is going on my bucket list! Happy Holidays!

• Wendy replied: — December 15th, 2011 @ 6:25 PM

Happy Holidays to you too Elizabeth! Definitely sign up for her class if you get the chance. Loved it!

JenniferA — December 15, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

Love Gail and love Mrs. Wheelbarrow! What a fun time. I think Gail needs to teach a class in New England. :-)

• Wendy replied: — December 15th, 2011 @ 6:26 PM

I love them too. It was a great time.

Jersey Girl Cooks — December 15, 2011 @ 9:19 PM

Great cookies! I would love to someday take a cookie decorating class with Gail. Glad you had fun!

• Wendy replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 6:24 AM

Thanks Lisa!

Aggie — December 15, 2011 @ 11:22 PM

How fun is this! I need a class with Gail!

• Wendy replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 6:25 AM

I’m hoping she offers another class. I would love to hone my skills a bit more. This time I plan to not be hungover:)

Cathy — December 19, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

So wonderful to meet you Wendy! Louie sends doggie kisses and tail wags!!!

• Wendy replied: — December 19th, 2011 @ 8:33 PM

Cathy that Louie is quite the charmer. Thanks for hosting. Loved every minute of the class!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — December 20, 2011 @ 11:55 PM

Sounds like y’all had so much fun! I’ve always wanted to learn how to decorate cookies — especially the flooding technique :)

• Wendy replied: — December 21st, 2011 @ 6:37 AM

Kiran we had so much fun. It takes a steady hand to do the flooding technique. Gail showed us some great tips on how to do it.

Kita — December 23, 2011 @ 7:13 PM

Oooh I could so use a decorating class. It’s just not for me. I put it in the category with beads, crafts and scrap booking. Something I want to be great at, but once I get all the supplies out and start I get frustrated and poof – there goes that.

I hope you have a great holiday Wendy! Next time you have to drive to DC hungover, stop by! Im on the way :D

• Wendy replied: — December 23rd, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

Kita I will definitely make a pit stop to see you next time I’m on my way down there. Hope you have a great holiday too!

Christine @ Fresh Local and Best — January 1, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

I met Gail once at Dorie Greenspan’s cookie bar and had no idea that she teaches cookie classes. What a treat to have learned from her. Your cookies are beautiful. I like the glossy finish on each of them.