Thursday, January 5, 2012

Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts

Are you ready for this? Up until yesterday I had never tried Brussels sprouts. I wasn’t necessarily avoiding them but I wasn’t exactly dying to try them. I can’t believe I waited this long to try them. They are a wonderful leafy vegetable that is very versatile. My friend, Lisa at Jersey Girl Cooks, recently shared that her Brussels sprouts recipe was one of her most popular recipes last year, so I knew I must be missing something. Thanks Lisa for the inspiration!

Without knowing exactly how this veggie would adapt to different ingredients, I decided to try a basic recipe. I turned to one of my favorite sources, Ina Garten, to adapt something she had made. I used her recipe and added a few tweaks to boost up the flavor profile. A splash of balsamic vinegar along with a few roasted peppers transform this dish into my new favorite side.

Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts

Yield: 6 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 35-40 minutes

Total Time: 45-50 minutes

Basic ingredients like olive oil, salt and pepper can bring out the flavor of almost any vegetable. Brussels sprouts are no exception.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 roasted red and yellow peppers, chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt if desired. Toss with chopped peppers and 1-2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.

Recipe adapted from Ina Garten: Food Network

17 Responses to “Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts”

Happy When Not Hungry — January 5, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I love brussel sprouts. Def have to try them with the roasted peppers. Yum!

Eliot — January 5, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Balsamic can make ANYTHING better but I do love brussel sprouts. This recipe is a keeper and glad you are a convert.

Kim Bee — January 5, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

This is too funny, I just admitted to a fellow blogger that I have never tried them myself and vowed to test them out this weekend. Glad I am not the only one who hasn’t tried them out. These look insanely good. Cooked to perfection. Love the pictures.

Tiffany — January 5, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

We have never been big brussels sprout eaters either, (I think we have only made them twice) but the last time we roasted them and they were awesome! We agreed to try them more often so I can’t wait to try your recipe, your photos are fantastic!

Liz — January 6, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

These look AMAZING!!!

Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon — January 6, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

Welcome to the world of Brussels sprouts. We simply adore them.

Lisa — January 6, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

I tried brussel sprouts as a kid, disliked them, and I’m ashamed to admit, never went back. Since our palates change as we get older, I need to dig in again, and yours would be a great place to start. They look very tasty!

RavieNomNoms — January 6, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Oh my goodness I am sure that is delicious! I love balsamic on just about anything and I have come to love brussels over the past few years. Winning combo!

Aly ~ Cooking In Stilettos — January 6, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

I love to roast brussels sprouts. I plan on trying one of Virginia Willis’ recipes for brussels sprouts roasted with bacon but I love the idea of it with balsamic vinegar!

I can’t stop looking at the photos – they look delicious!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — January 6, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

This past year seems to be the year that Brussels sprouts were revisited and loved. Your not having tried them was to your advantage because most of us that had them served to use as kids only knew mushy green balls of goo.

Over cooking was the scourge of the sprouts and roasting is their salvation!

Jeanette — January 6, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I have to say I didn’t like brussels sprouts until I roasted them – that’s the only way I eat them, and I love the splash of balsamic vinegar and addition of red ad yellow roasted peppers to brighten up this dish.

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} — January 7, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Oh, how I love Brussels Sprouts! I’m having a hard time deciding which ones are better : roasted or stir fried.
    Going to try your version soon. YUMMY!

Elena Ciccotelli — January 10, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Wow Wendy! First, I have to say that I LOVE your blog! Can I share some of your recipes on my website too? And second, like most of your readers, I was never a fan of brussels sprouts but I’ll have to try this recipe soon – I’m sure it will blow my mind : )

• Wendy replied: — January 10th, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Thanks for your kind words! Please feel free to share my recipes on your site.

Feast on the Cheap — January 16, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

My favorite way to enjoy sprouts!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — January 17, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Mmmm.. I love roasting with balsamic — it just intensifies the flavors :D

Eliana — January 30, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

This is my favorite way to enjoy brussels sprouts. Yours look super delish!