Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Philly Swappers (A Philly Food Swapping Event)

Our local food community is very active. We find various ways to get together and hang out. One of my favorite gatherings is our local food swap. The event, hosted by Philly Swappers, is part silent auction/part village marketplace/part fun-loving open house where your homemade creations (breads, preserves, special concoctions, canned goods, etc.) become your own personal currency for use in swapping with other participants.

Attendees bring an assortment of homemade edible specialties (think pickles, preserves, baked goods, honey, granola, pasta, fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, yogurt… you name it!) to exchange for other handcrafted delights. I’ve been to every swap to date and I can say that the last one was definitely my favorite so far. Check out all the amazing things I snagged!

Cookie Truffles

Chocolate Covered Potato Chips

Caramelized Onions and so much more!

For this swap I traded my strawberry balsamic jam, drunken cherries and cherry marmalade. If you are new to food swapping and need ideas for what to make, check out the recipes below for some of the items that were traded:

The Cozy Herbivore: Lime-Chipotle Finishing Salt

Feed Me Lee: Caramel Rosemary Popcorn

Manifest Vegan: Chocolate Covered Potato Chips

Mother Nature Network: Homemade Pizza Sauce and Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions

I would also be remiss if I did not tell you about another amazing thing that is taking place in this area. A new community I am a part of, aptly named Counter Culture PHL, has formed as a way for food professionals and enthusiasts to come together for sharing, collaborating, cooking and professional development in a respectful and social environment. Counter Culture Philly welcomes both food professionals and amateurs (writers, cooks, bakers, photographers, bloggers, nutritionists, event planners, etc). Our passion is in the kitchen and on the counter, and we celebrate the culture of the local culinary world.

If you live in the area and would like to find out more about Counter Culture PHL feel free to email me: wendy@laphemmephoodie.com or counterculturephl@gmail.com directly. We would love to have you join us!

14 Responses to “Philly Swappers (A Philly Food Swapping Event)”

Georgia — February 28, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Great write up! We got some of the truffles and chocolate covered potato chips too. Yum! Missed your goodies this time though. I was excited about the drunken cherries, but too late…Oh well, brought home excellent things nonetheless. Yay swapping!

Rebecca @ Runner with an Appetite — February 28, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Wow, you surely made my truffles looks so fancy and pretty! Had your cherry marmalade this AM and it was delicious on some whole wheat, grainy toast.

See you at the next swap!

Kate @ Food Babbles — February 28, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

This sounds like an amazing event and I gotta tell ya… Your pictures are GORGEOUS!!

Kaitlin — February 28, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

I really need to get to one of these food swaps! Your photos, as always, are beautiful :)

Dorrie — February 28, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

Beautiful pictures! Love the idea. I’d love to particpate in a future swap.

Betty Ann @Mango_Queen — February 28, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

What an amazing event, Wendy! You’re awesome to always put these together. What a delight to see all these specialties together! Thanks for sharing this post!

Sara — February 28, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

This swap was so much fun! I must admit to you that I’ve been thinking of all kinds of fancy things to do with your drunken cherries, but I don’t think I’m going to do any of them. You see, they seem to be disappearing, one by one. I have no idea who’s doing this. Perhaps a very big (and drunk) mouse.

Baker Street — February 29, 2012 @ 4:56 AM

Wow! That sounds like a super fun event! Your pictures are as stunning as ever!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — February 29, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Agree with Anu, that’s one super fun foodie event! I want to move to Philly.

Nancy@acommunaltable — March 1, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

Oh my goodness I love this idea, almost as much as I love all the luscious things you all were swapping!

Magic of Spice — March 3, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

What a fantastic way to get local on the block! Love this idea, and your goodies :) Wish I were local…

Priscilla — March 5, 2012 @ 2:10 AM

Love the food swap and the community you’re helping to create with Counter Culture (great name)!

Jersey Girl Coooks — March 5, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

I wish one of these days I could make this event. Or maybe i’ll just snag some drunken cherries from you.

Amanda — April 9, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Great write-up and GORGEOUS photos, Wendy! Amazing! Can’t wait for the next event!